Sustainability – A Constant Effort
Syracuse Label & Surround Printing understands that our actions have an impact on our environment. With this in mind, we have created an extensive environmental program built around the continual pursuit of minimizing our effect on the world around us. These efforts include investments in new technologies, eliminating harmful chemicals, energy efficient upgrades, and reducing waste streams wherever possible. Ultimately, we strive for solutions that will not only benefit our environment but also our customers.
Sustainable Green Printing Partnership
Syracuse Label & Surround Printing is a Sustainable Green Printing Partnership certified facility. The Sustainable Green Printing Partnership (SGP) promotes a sustainable print supply chain through best practices, innovation, information shared, and validation. The SGP program encompasses the three pillars of sustainability – people, planet, and profit – to ensure health and safety, a clean environment, and financial success.
A Dedicated Team
In an effort to continually improve our sustainability program, Syracuse Label & Surround Printing created a Sustainability Committee. The mission of our committee is to support, promote, and integrate the company’s sustainable efforts and awareness by:
- Identifying ways to streamline our manufacturing process.
- Reduce waste, non-recyclable materials, and energy consumption
- A means to prevent pollution and improve the use of recyclable/reusable materials within our organization.
What steps have we taken?
Syracuse Label & Surround Printing is a ZERO Waste-to-Landfill Facility. We recycle all plate material, computer equipment, metal replacement parts, UV & florescent lights, wood pallets, and Batteries. Our remaining raw material, kitchen, and office waste is used as solid fuel, for alternative power generation.
By investing in digital printing technologies, we have reduced the waste of all printing materials including plates, substrate, inks, and other printing supplies.
As a result of lean manufacturing, we reduced change-over times and overall material waste. This has also led to a decrease in electricity and natural gas for heating, cooling, and plant operation in general.
We only use water-based and UV ink technology in our flexographic printing process. Additionally, all of the inks and varnish used in our printing are benzophenone-free.
We offer materials such as:
- Materials featuring post-consumer waste content, which utilizes materials recovered from the consumer waste stream.
- Paper products approved by the North American Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Offer recycle-friendly labels and shrink sleeves for PET bottles and containers.
- Pressure Sensitive Labels that are recyclable with HDPE plastic.
- thin gauged liners and materials, which provide more labels per roll – allowing for fewer line stops for roll changes, less corrugated & cores to handle and dispose of, lower freight, and more efficient printing and packaging.
What else have we done?
- Installation of a high-performance baler to assist in waste recycling
- Video registration systems on all presses to reduce waste by catching defects at the press
- Closed-loop cooling systems
- On-demand hot water heaters and low-capacity toilets
- Purchasing of reused/reconditioned existing cubicles and office components wherever possible
- Facility-wide higher efficiency lighting system, including LEDs and motion sensors, which reduce electrical consumption